Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
tplink Posted:
Im trying to add
my HT802 vonage
adapter to my home
network. I
currently have
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Vonage behind switch
On Dec 05, 2016 at 06:35:11

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
oly_fred
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 20, 2006
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope that Comcast will start to watch this thread and others like it, their is a serious problem with the Motorolla SB51xx series on their network or just simply with the SB51xx that they are not suitable to be used as an authorized modem for their service. Ironic that most places around me only have the Comcast modems, SB5120, only and no other type. I had to go to three stores before I found what I was looking for, so far so good. I haven't had any problems yet with Linksys modem, works great with my two Linksys routers as well. I hope that Comcast will take these postings seriously and look into their infrastructure, more than just Vonage is affected by UDP. Vonage is a small portion of UDP usage. I think that a class action lawsuit should be brought against Comcast for their lack of service and denying customer complaints regarding their service. Their are other qualified individuals out there who are looking at this besides them and seeing the negative results with this one single series of modems. I believe that Comcast has a large stake in these modems, since primarily they are the leased and most widely suggested modems they allow to be used on their service. If they had to admit their was a problem with their service or the modems they would have to recall all of the modems in service, a very expensive fix to a very large problem. Better to sweep it under the rug!!
View user's profile Send private message
Gina516
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well said Fred, for other folks interested, as if there aren't enough threads here - have a looksee at:<br>
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,16611154?hilite=comcast+decertify for Comcasts SB5120 problems.<br>
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15929720~days=10~fmode=full for a survey on modems freezing/pausing/upload issues - look at all the SB51XX's.<br> http://www.broadbandreports.com/nsearch?q=SB5120 for a list if SB5120 threads, most of which seem to mention Comcast. <br>
http://www.broadbandreports.com/nsearch?q=Comcast+upload&cat=remark for Comcast upload issues.<br>Problems go on and on - search any key words you wish - you'll find folks pulling their hair out and like us - being completely blown off by Comcast.<br>
The ONLY problem they saw after visiting me this morning was one of their advanced engineer's name and phone number on this forum and the mere suggestion Comcast has any issues whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message
srgsng25
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Apr 25, 2003
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: packet drop for cmcast un up steam Reply with quote Back to top

how you get themto believe you is call them on the viop line and tak to them the tech said several time he can;t hear me ans is seeinght epacket drops of ciurce he have the NOC look at it to see i ther is a issue and is sending a tech to the house again
View user's profile Send private message
Gina516
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I drop out every call more than once, no worries, and yes they see it - they tell me I've lost signal, they can see I've lost signal in the logs, BUT when the techs come to the house they tell me 'the phone support people don't what they're talking about'.
We've been dealing with this since April and done EVERYTHING, every DX, run the system without the Vonage adaptor, dumped the network and run just one pc thru the modem - loss loss loss..... we kow what the problem is..... denial! Good luck, it sounds like your adventure is just beginning.
View user's profile Send private message
EzCo
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jul 21, 2005
Posts: 533
Location: Southeastern PA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oly_fred wrote:
I hope that Comcast will start to watch this thread and others like it, their is a serious problem with the Motorolla SB51xx series on their network or just simply with the SB51xx that they are not suitable to be used as an authorized modem for their service. Ironic that most places around me only have the Comcast modems, SB5120, only and no other type. I had to go to three stores before I found what I was looking for, so far so good. I haven't had any problems yet with Linksys modem, works great with my two Linksys routers as well. I hope that Comcast will take these postings seriously and look into their infrastructure, more than just Vonage is affected by UDP. Vonage is a small portion of UDP usage. I think that a class action lawsuit should be brought against Comcast for their lack of service and denying customer complaints regarding their service. Their are other qualified individuals out there who are looking at this besides them and seeing the negative results with this one single series of modems. I believe that Comcast has a large stake in these modems, since primarily they are the leased and most widely suggested modems they allow to be used on their service. If they had to admit their was a problem with their service or the modems they would have to recall all of the modems in service, a very expensive fix to a very large problem. Better to sweep it under the rug!!


Sorry, I'm not buying it. I guarantee there are a hell of a lot more people that are not having problems with their 51xx than there are people that have problems. You hear about the 51xx's more because they are the largest install base, I'm willing to bet by far.

How do you know the 51xx is the most widely suggested modem to buy by Comcast? I didn't see any reference to that on their website; all I found was a list of approved modems, in alphabetical order. I'm not even sure they are the ones that are leased the most. From my experience, all the techs ever have in their truck is some junk RCA modems.

_________________
Comcast 6M/384K -> Cisco 1711 -> RTP300, Juniper 5GT Wireless
"Does anybody remember forests?"
View user's profile Send private message
Gina516
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had hoped for a Linksys swap today Ez but the tech told me Comcast only has contracts with Motorola and RCA (preferred vendors) with the 5120's being their most popular. It was a super modem - until whatever went pear shaped in April.
So far as most not having problems - you may be right - most don't have Voip, video conference, do gaming or VPN into work.
Their web pages may be slow to load sometime, but they'll likely blame the web sites and not think a thought of it otherwise - we're the folks who do the things where problems like this hit you in the face.
View user's profile Send private message
oly_fred
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 20, 2006
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EzCo wrote:
oly_fred wrote:
I hope that Comcast will start to watch this thread and others like it, their is a serious problem with the Motorolla SB51xx series on their network or just simply with the SB51xx that they are not suitable to be used as an authorized modem for their service. Ironic that most places around me only have the Comcast modems, SB5120, only and no other type. I had to go to three stores before I found what I was looking for, so far so good. I haven't had any problems yet with Linksys modem, works great with my two Linksys routers as well. I hope that Comcast will take these postings seriously and look into their infrastructure, more than just Vonage is affected by UDP. Vonage is a small portion of UDP usage. I think that a class action lawsuit should be brought against Comcast for their lack of service and denying customer complaints regarding their service. Their are other qualified individuals out there who are looking at this besides them and seeing the negative results with this one single series of modems. I believe that Comcast has a large stake in these modems, since primarily they are the leased and most widely suggested modems they allow to be used on their service. If they had to admit their was a problem with their service or the modems they would have to recall all of the modems in service, a very expensive fix to a very large problem. Better to sweep it under the rug!!


Sorry, I'm not buying it. I guarantee there are a hell of a lot more people that are not having problems with their 51xx than there are people that have problems. You hear about the 51xx's more because they are the largest install base, I'm willing to bet by far.

How do you know the 51xx is the most widely suggested modem to buy by Comcast? I didn't see any reference to that on their website; all I found was a list of approved modems, in alphabetical order. I'm not even sure they are the ones that are leased the most. From my experience, all the techs ever have in their truck is some junk RCA modems.


I am confident, as GINA516 has posted as well, that the SB5120 is their preferred modem because it all that they have in stores available for comcast and also it is the only modem they have suggested to me when I was describing my problem to them before I informed them I was using a SB5120! Most people probably do not use UDP protocols on a daily basis, perhaps because the "small" percentage of users actually use something besides http:// which is really a small portion of the internet base traffic. I stand by my statement earlier, it is unfortunate that Comcast has this same philosophy that a small number of people are having this problem, remember a class-action lawsuit is for a specific group of people affected by someone else's negligence. Just because you are not a part of this group does not mean that it is not happening. "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to see it, did the tree still fall?" or in this case "If you didn't see the tree in the woods fall, did the tree still fall?
View user's profile Send private message
Boogs
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Same problem here. Reply with quote Back to top

I'm considering switching to Vonage but like others in this thread I'm also having problems with packet loss. It's the same thing 6-10 times a day. 5-30 seconds of packet loss. We only notice this with our gaming connections (alot in my family) and my VPN tunnel connection to work. I'm not too keen on switching to Vonage with a problem like this though.

For what it's worth, my modem is a Motorola SB4200, not the 51xx series. We have a tech coming out today to look at it. Over the phone support (the last 3 times I've called) only gets me disconnecting the modem for 30 seconds. In fact, that's thier cure for everything. Smile

This is Comcast in Harrisburg, PA, by the way.
View user's profile Send private message
Gina516
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, gaming and VPN is where you'll notice you have the problems so unfortunately Voip would also be affected. I've had Vonage for 3 years without a problem - been deliriously happy getting off the grid - but alas - once this issue started with Comcast in April - the phone is impossible, i can't video conference anymore - beyond frustrating - and they'rein complete denial of any issues whatsoever. Every piece of equip has been swapped out, every DX, I'd of stood on my head if i thought it would help.

I do have friends all over the country with Vonage and they're doing fine - Cox out west and Brighthouse in FL have no problems whatsoever. The Michigan friends (3 homes worth) had to switch from Comcast to DSL to stay with Vonage and they're fine on that.

The common denominators to everyones problem is Comcast and Motorola modems. I have a Linksys on the way and will report back once we're up and running with it. Some thought the docsys 2.0 was the poison dart but those with Linksys 2.0 and or D-Link are doing fine - hence a Motorola firmware issue.

Stay tuned and we'll be your guinea pigs I guess, if simply another brand modem solves your problem, Vonage is well worth jumping too.
View user's profile Send private message
oly_fred
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Jun 20, 2006
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Same problem here. Reply with quote Back to top

Boogs wrote:
I'm considering switching to Vonage but like others in this thread I'm also having problems with packet loss. It's the same thing 6-10 times a day. 5-30 seconds of packet loss. We only notice this with our gaming connections (alot in my family) and my VPN tunnel connection to work. I'm not too keen on switching to Vonage with a problem like this though.

For what it's worth, my modem is a Motorola SB4200, not the 51xx series. We have a tech coming out today to look at it. Over the phone support (the last 3 times I've called) only gets me disconnecting the modem for 30 seconds. In fact, that's thier cure for everything. Smile

This is Comcast in Harrisburg, PA, by the way.

My suggestion to you is purchase a linksys modem and then see if this fixes your problem, I have had my new modem for nearly a week and I love it, no dropped calls or other problems.
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New jinkikkDup
New Today 2
Yesterday 9
Total 99046

Who Is On Site
Visitors 116
Members 0
Total 116


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.84
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.77 Seconds and 529 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum