Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
Kevingrarl Posted:
Су
95;ас&
#1085;иl
1;
пі
76;пр&
#1080;&
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Сучас&
On Dec 02, 2016 at 12:51:38

IsaawUnace Posted:
does cialis work
as well as cialis
add.cgi buy
cialis cialis
the team <a
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Condition good pill instead of ed
On Dec 01, 2016 at 11:11:59

MatrickVop Posted:
buy cialis today
columbus oh
generic cialis
buy cialis online
registered users
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Classify miserly pills no means
On Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42:47

dracossumo Posted:
Ко
84;па&
#1085;иn
3; Tritel
пр
77;до
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
&#1048;&#1085;&#1090;&#1077;&#1088;&
On Nov 27, 2016 at 23:00:39

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
ASPWebSmith
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Mar 12, 2004
Posts: 20
Location: Silver SPring, MD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just an FYI for some of you who may get letters like this in the future...

I used to work for Comcast and before that for VOL and in both companies we saw this problem. To understand what the ISP is seeing, you have to know that your cable modem has a unique identifier (like a MAC address for those of you who know the term). The ISP monitors for a situation where their DHCP server has two or more IP addresses assigned to a single cable modem and then sends out the letter. There are a lot of very common problems that can occur on the ISP side however that would produce a false positive for this scenario. In other words, they might think you have two IPs when in fact it is not the case. Comcast has obviously decided to justs end out the letter and not worry about false positives, probably because they think they are not getting many. If you get a letter, I would just call tech support without making any changes and ask them to check how many IPs you are using right that minute. If they see only one, then you are probably fine. If they see more than one, you may have an issue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
johnmagee4
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Jun 08, 2004
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ASPWebSmith wrote:
Just an FYI for some of you who may get letters like this in the future...


This doesn't make much sense on their part. If they want to restrict customers to one IP address... then they should simply be able to configure their DHCP servers to only lease one IP address per unique cable modem. (Similarly, if you buy 2 addresses... then lease 2).

It sounds like either (1) they messed up and didn't configure correclty, and now need to fix it, or (2) they intentionally leased out the extra IP addresses so they could try to sell you the second one or their networking option.
View user's profile Send private message
PaulaBerge
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Mar 29, 2004
Posts: 64
Location: Woodbury, Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

johnmagee4 wrote:
This doesn't make much sense on their part. If they want to restrict customers to one IP address... then they should simply be able to configure their DHCP servers to only lease one IP address per unique cable modem. (Similarly, if you buy 2 addresses... then lease 2).

It sounds like either (1) they messed up and didn't configure correclty, and now need to fix it, or (2) they intentionally leased out the extra IP addresses so they could try to sell you the second one or their networking option.


Thanks for writing that, it's how I feel too. I tore apart my entire system when nothing was wrong in the first place and Comcast CS wasn't able to give me any information at all, they couldn't even tell if I was using two IP addresses when I called.
View user's profile Send private message
ASPWebSmith
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Mar 12, 2004
Posts: 20
Location: Silver SPring, MD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am not trying to defend Comcast here, g-d knows I have had my share of issues with them, but I think it is important to remember when dealing with a major ISP or any large IT service provider (like a certain Voip company) that these services require huge networks made up of thousands of computers, routers, servers, switches, etc and adminstering all these devices is very chalenging. Most of us probably have only one or two computers at home and maybe one router, yet I'll bet everyone of us can remember at least one situation where we accidently misconfigured something and brought down our entire system. And I gurantee the stuff your using at home is a lot easier to take care of than the stuff Comcast ahs to use to support their millions of users. With the constant upgrades and patches and every 13 year old computer wiz in the country trying to hack their network, I think you can see how it might not be quite as simple as we imagine to configure there system to just not give out multiple IPs. Having worked for several large ISPs, I can assure you that most of the people involved are seriously commited to providing a quality service, and I urge you to remember that the next time you call tech support. Thanx for listening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PaulaBerge
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Mar 29, 2004
Posts: 64
Location: Woodbury, Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ASPWebSmith wrote:
I am not trying to defend Comcast here, g-d knows I have had my share of issues with them, but I think it is important to remember when dealing with a major ISP or any large IT service provider (like a certain Voip company) that these services require huge networks made up of thousands of computers, routers, servers, switches, etc and adminstering all these devices is very chalenging. Most of us probably have only one or two computers at home and maybe one router, yet I'll bet everyone of us can remember at least one situation where we accidently misconfigured something and brought down our entire system. And I gurantee the stuff your using at home is a lot easier to take care of than the stuff Comcast ahs to use to support their millions of users. With the constant upgrades and patches and every 13 year old computer wiz in the country trying to hack their network, I think you can see how it might not be quite as simple as we imagine to configure there system to just not give out multiple IPs. Having worked for several large ISPs, I can assure you that most of the people involved are seriously commited to providing a quality service, and I urge you to remember that the next time you call tech support. Thanx for listening.


I really appreciated your information, mostly I was wishing you still worked for them!

My problem with Comcast is that they took over AT&T here (Mpls/St Paul, MN) and cut the staff drastically, CS seemed to suffer the most. Then, they raised prices several times, not to mention the fiasco when they switched everyone from attbi.com email addresses and wanted us all to install spy-ware type software that took ownership of IE too. They're still getting a $150 a month from us for broadband/digital cable, just not the $40+ for phone service (no long distance), which also was a type of Voip.
View user's profile Send private message
AD8BC
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Apr 16, 2004
Posts: 35
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

(my apologies if this is on here twice, I thought I hit submit but can't see my post)


Lets play "what if"...


What if, when one unplugs their PC from the cable modem and then plugs in their MTA, that Comcast leases another IP for the MTA's MAC address. Further, what if after that has been done one does some troubleshooting and plugs their computer back in (getting the old IP address that was already leased to the PC, if it had not expired), then the MTA, etc. PERHAPS Comcast's DHCP servers thought these devices were online at the same time considering they had concurrent IP address leases. PERHAPS this is Comcast's mistake.

If I got this letter, I would reply to Comcast stating I needed the exact date and time that these devices were concurrently operating on separate IP addresses. It may coincide with when you first got Vonage and were playing with it. In which case, it would be my guess that the problem has already been taken care of.

Perhaps. Also, perhaps I am full of s**t. Who knows?
View user's profile Send private message
PaulaBerge
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Mar 29, 2004
Posts: 64
Location: Woodbury, Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AD8BC wrote:
What if, when one unplugs their PC from the cable modem and then plugs in their MTA, that Comcast leases another IP for the MTA's MAC address. Further, what if after that has been done one does some troubleshooting and plugs their computer back in (getting the old IP address that was already leased to the PC, if it had not expired), then the MTA, etc. PERHAPS Comcast's DHCP servers thought these devices were online at the same time considering they had concurrent IP address leases. PERHAPS this is Comcast's mistake.

If I got this letter, I would reply to Comcast stating I needed the exact date and time that these devices were concurrently operating on separate IP addresses. It may coincide with when you first got Vonage and were playing with it. In which case, it would be my guess that the problem has already been taken care of.


That senario sounds the most fitting of all, but no one at Comcast CS/Tech could give me information as what day/time we were showing 2 IPs, and they also couldn't tell me if we were showing 2 at the time I called. Their only advice was to wait until the deadline date on the letter and see what happened (nothing happened of course).

Quote:
Also, perhaps I am full of s**t.


Nope - yours is probably the only explanation. A Vonage tech thought that's what happened too.
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New ritaqb3
New Today 1
Yesterday 9
Total 98996

Who Is On Site
Visitors 106
Members 1
Total 107


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.57
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.69 Seconds and 524 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum