How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
bsach
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Equipment Recommendations Reply with quote Back to top

This is my first post to this forum. Let me know if I have excluded any vital info or ignored any common practice.

I found this forum part way through my search for my Vonage solution. I thought I would pull back a bit and take an inventory of what I have and seek some advice from those who have gone down this road before. I have a need to replace my cordless phone. I have a curiosity to give Vonage a try because I want to save a little money but mostly because I love the challenge of setting up something really cool!

Location - Minneapolis
Cable Modem Surfboard SB4100 (rental ~$3.00/mo)
Wireless router WRT54G v.3.0 FW 4.20.6
ISP Comcast (Cable)
QWest for my Local/Long Distance
T-Mobile for Cell Phones
Dishnetwork for Satellite

Cordless Phone KX-TG2740- KX-TGA270S (Bad Handset)

New Equipment still in the shrink wrapped box
WRT54GS and WPTP54G

I am not opposed to installing 3rd party firmware to get the QOS options that may be available for the WRT54G. I would like to use my house wiring if possible. I have teens who know how to find the phone but not necessarily put it back in the cradle when finished. I have corded phones everywhere else.

I have seen the adapter choices available on Vonage's webpage. I am also aware of the IP-8100-2 for sale at Bestbuy. Are there other adapters I should consider based on the equipment I already have.

What are of some of phone features that you wished you had that you discovered were missing once you went to a Vonage phone service.
As an aside, why is there such a difference between the Download and Upload numbers

Download 4,899,976 bps
Upload 269,304 bps
QOS 48%
RTT 53 ms
MaxPause 420 ms
VonageTPA
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Equipment Recommendations Reply with quote Back to top

bsach wrote:

<snip> I have a need to replace my cordless phone. I have a curiosity to give Vonage a try because I want to save a little money but mostly because I love the challenge of setting up something really cool!

Uniden TRU8xxx series phones seem to be the forum favorite. I have a set of them at all of my homes & now have a set at work as well. Works very well with the Vonage adapters.

Quote:

Location - Minneapolis
Cable Modem Surfboard SB4100 (rental ~$3.00/mo)
Wireless router WRT54G v.3.0 FW 4.20.6
ISP Comcast (Cable)
QWest for my Local/Long Distance
T-Mobile for Cell Phones
Dishnetwork for Satellite

Cordless Phone KX-TG2740- KX-TGA270S (Bad Handset)

New Equipment still in the shrink wrapped box
WRT54GS and WPTP54G

The WRT54G 3.0 router can stay (NateHoy's the resident expert on the Linksys routers, but I believe the 3.0 version is still one of the "good" models). The WRTP54G is a good voice adapter, lousy router, alright wireless...but since you have the WRT54G, no need to use these functions on it unless you really wanted to. I have the RTP300, which is the WRTP54G sans wireless and love the sound quality of it.

Quote:
I am not opposed to installing 3rd party firmware to get the QOS options that may be available for the WRT54G. I would like to use my house wiring if possible. I have teens who know how to find the phone but not necessarily put it back in the cradle when finished. I have corded phones everywhere else.

Ah, cool! Someone who's adventurous. I used to run the Sveasoft firmware, but now run the HyperWRT firmware and can't say enough positive things for it -- The HyperWRT (Thibor is what I run on my GSes) firmware takes this lowly Linksys router and turns it into something on-par with the low-end Cisco routers in terms of performance and configurability if you are comfortable with its commandline. For 99% of the people out there, the web interface that the add-on firmware leaves you will do far more than you'd ever need. The only reason to drop into the command line on these is to have a little bit of fun. As far as the household wiring goes, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd suggest flipping through the Hard Wiring section of this website and see the common pitfalls & solutions so that your transition goes smoothly. It really isn't that difficult, just MAKE SURE you have truly disconnected the telco from your wiring before you add the Vonage adapter inline. Also, if your REN total (add 'em up from the labels on the undersides/backs of your phones) is more than 5.0, you might have problems.

Quote:
I have seen the adapter choices available on Vonage's webpage. I am also aware of the IP-8100-2 for sale at Bestbuy. Are there other adapters I should consider based on the equipment I already have.

You couldn't pay me to take a V-tech... That said, there are plenty of people who are happy with these for some reason. Very simple install, but very limited. No external ports on these to use other phones with, so forget using your Dish network box or fax machine with the IP8100, same with the corded phones.

Quote:
What are of some of phone features that you wished you had that you discovered were missing once you went to a Vonage phone service.

Umm... the huge phone bills from Verizion/Sprint? but I really don't miss those. In switching to Vonage, I gained a ton of features that I didn't have before, like the e-mailed voice mails, instant (well, close nuf) activity logs on the web, SimulRing, portability of the adapter, and reliability. Yes, Vonage is actually more reliable in my area than the landline phone lines were, including hurricanes.

Quote:
As an aside, why is there such a difference between the Download and Upload numbers

Download 4,899,976 bps
Upload 269,304 bps
QOS 48%
RTT 53 ms
MaxPause 420 ms

This is due to the nature of the cable internet network. The first cable modem systems were one direction only, providing downloads over the cable lines, uploads over the phone line. We've now progressed to everything over one wire, but the primary demand of consumers is more downloading than uploading. There are also physical reasons for this as well, with the cable TV system being designed to SEND signals. The whole receiving signals back from customers is a relatively new idea and they've had to install receiver nodes closer to the individual neighborhoods to support this. Comcast does have a business division with higher upload speeds, but they still are asymmetric, with the download speeds being higher. Until you go to something like a T1, SDSL, frame-relay, or fiber, you're very likely to see this same asymmetric pattern that you have. Normally it works out fine for most people. For some of us, we've just adapted by buying business or higher residential plans.

Phones: various
Total calls since Jul 24, 2005: 4,794 calls
Total Minutes since Jul 24, 2005: 25,552 minutes
sinceMay2004
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Without any routers hooked up (modem>computer), run
www.testyourvoip.com to boston
Post the detailed results.

HW: VT1000 Revision: 0 BSP: 1.2/0
CfgFile: 1145306143711/1002237868
SB5100~wrt54gL~~vt1005~~2pc~~x51v~~laptop
bsach
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Equipment Recommendations Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Uniden TRU8xxx series phones seem to be the forum favorite. I have a set of them at all of my homes & now have a set at work as well. Works very well with the Vonage adapters.

I found the Uniden TRU8888 on clearance at Walmart. Does the TRU888 have a backlit display so I can see who is calling in the dark. Do any of the phones let you know that you have VM via Vonage. Should I be concerned that they are closing them out?

Quote:
The WRTP54G is a good voice adapter, lousy router, alright wireless...but since you have the WRT54G, no need to use these functions on it unless you really wanted to. I have the RTP300, which is the WRTP54G sans wireless and love the sound quality of it.

Do I have a better choice for an adapter since I don't need the wireless feature. I do need the LAN ports
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'd use the RTP300 as your Vonage device (since it is a good Vonage device, and an adequate router if you travel or whatever). I have a WRTP54G as my Vonage device, which is the same as the RTP300 but with Wireless, and it's very nice as a Vonage device. You can try it as a router, and it might work for you. But it's QoS seems to have issues.

http://vonage.nmhoy.net/qos.html

If the QoS ends up not working out for you, and you have a WRT54G or a WRT54GS, those are excellent choices provided you didn't get the newer V5 hardware. If your serial number starts in CDFB for the "G" or CGN7 for the "GS", then you have a "v5" that cannot accept aftermarket firmware. I recommend exchanging that for the WRT54GL router (the "L" stands for "Linux"), which accepts aftermarket firmware.

From there, it's a matter of getting it all set up right:

http://vonage.nmhoy.net/wrt54gl.html

bsach
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Equipment Recommendations Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
Personally, I'd use the RTP300 as your Vonage device (since it is a good Vonage device, and an adequate router if you travel or whatever). I have a WRTP54G as my Vonage device, which is the same as the RTP300 but with Wireless, and it's very nice as a Vonage device.

I am not seeing RTP300 as a choice on Vonage's website. I am assuming that you are using WRTP54G and RTP300 synonymously.

WRT54GS - CGN7
WRTP54G - CJJ0

I also have a wireless router WRT54G v.3.0 FW 4.20.6 S/N CDF8.

Could I do my setup as below installing 3rd party FW on the WRT54G to give me more control over the QOS features?

Modem==>WRT54G==>WRTP54G
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. In fact, the WRT54GL is nothing more than a WRT54G. When Linksys introduced their nasty new V5 hardware for the WRT54G, they took away Linux and replaced it with a closed-source OS (VxWorks) and cut the memory in half, so the new WRT54G and WRT54GS units aren't nearly as good. They eventually threw the modding community a bone and "introduced" the WRT54GL, which was the same as the OLD WRT54G, with a new price tag.

PS: Your WRT54GS is a new "V5" unit, unfortunately. In my opinion, your "old" WRT54G is a FAR superior unit.

So, the exact same instructions I gave you for the WRT54GL will work precisely the same for the WRT54G.

I didn't realize they had dropped the RTP300. The WRTP54G is a good Vonage device (I'm using one, as you can see from my signature line), and could do in a pinch as a half decent router/wireless AP. But I don't know enough about the other devices to let you know if it would be worth spending money on it when other devices are probably free after rebates. Wink

abela2006
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: don't get too complicated Reply with quote Back to top

I also live in Minneapolis. I have mediacom for cable internet tho.
Given all the problems with comcast and Vonage, I would call qwest and just ask if they offer stand alone dsl. You could probubly get a better price, and better reliability. now, I just went with the free phone adapter and tapped into my existing home wiring, but if u want to be cool, go with the VTech IP8100. now, don't buy from any retailer. Ur always going to get a better deal buying direct, and it will be less hassel. When you buy direct, Vonage programs the adapter before it ships, and its ready to go when it arrives. Let me know what u end up doing.
VonageTPA
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
I didn't realize they had dropped the RTP300. The WRTP54G is a good Vonage device (I'm using one, as you can see from my signature line), and could do in a pinch as a half decent router/wireless AP. But I don't know enough about the other devices to let you know if it would be worth spending money on it when other devices are probably free after rebates. Wink

It's a shame that they're doing this (to a point). Granted, it's a terrible router, and no doubt that Vonage received a ton of complaints about it, BUT, having used the PAP2, RT31P2, RTP300, and WRTP54G, give me a TI-chipset device any day over the Sipura-based ones. Voice quality is my primary goal, and the TI chipset has it -- wider frequency response and far lower noise floor than the other devices I've used. I still haven't played with a Motorola unit yet (trying to get ahold of one), but when they get rid of the RTP300/WRTP54Gs, I'm not sure what I'm going to use. These are also the only devices I've found which provide the right signalling to get PBXs and high-end telephones to disconnect properly.

Phones: various
Total calls since Jul 24, 2005: 4,794 calls
Total Minutes since Jul 24, 2005: 25,552 minutes
air23
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: New hardware but not working Reply with quote Back to top

My first time posting. And would appreciate some help.

location - Chicago
purchased a new Motorola SBV5120 (isp WideOpenWest)
It is a Voip cable modem. For more info:
http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=369[/web]

I have the MTA MAC ID on the modem and i gave it to Vonage but they said it was invalid. I was wondering why it doesn't work. The modem works fine with my ISP. Please help..