infrequently on
the phone. I'm
thinking of
switching to a
data-only

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Use with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?
On Jul 21, 2014 at 14:29:35

szurcsii Posted:
Hey! I'm
planning to build
my own voip alarm
system. I found a
guide that looks

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Alarm systems and VOIP
On Jun 27, 2014 at 01:09:10

DSewhuk Posted:
The last week I
have seen a
similar issue. I
have gotten 2
simultaneous calls
outbound

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Outbound calls showing when no call is being made
On Jun 11, 2014 at 23:25:10

HtomSirveaux Posted:
Rather than be
long and wordy,
I'll get right to
the point(s): -
Have had VDV23

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
VDV23 - Max Upstream?
On Jun 10, 2014 at 18:18:46

revrob Posted:
In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
Witholding Caller ID from display and the BT 1471 service
On May 22, 2014 at 16:45:07

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Announces Date of Earnings Release and Conference Call for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Financial

Vonage Chief Executive Officer to Present at the Citi 2014 Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
HerculesMO
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Not yet a Vonage user.... some questions :) Reply with quote Back to top

Hi folks,

I have a few questions about Vonage service because I *do* want to sign up, just trying to get answers first Smile

Anyways.. I have a house wired entirely for ethernet. Every place there is a phone jack, there is a Cat6 jack (i'm wiring it now.. i like to have network connectivity!). As I understand it, Vonage will give me a box to put behind my router, and then I can connect a phone to that.

I know most people probably have a cordless handset system in their house. My house is quite large.... and we have about 7 or 8 handsets in the house -- all of these are necessary. We do not yet have a cordless phone system with expandable handsets.

The question here is... do I need it? If every room in my house is wired for Cat6 connections..... can I use say, an IP telephone or something to connect to Vonage? How exactly would this work, and does anybody know what telephone I can use?

Are there any benefits of going the route of having an IP telephone or whatever, over a cordless handset system? Ideally I just want every phone in my house to use the Vonage service... and there's no way (that I know of) that Vonage will connect into my entire house's phone system automatically.. And since I have the cat6 connection all over the house, maybe I can take advantage of that fact.

Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas or pointers on this, it would be greatly apprecaited! Smile
navydavy2001
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would say your only issue might be using that many handsets could cause issues with REN voltage. REN is what pushes CID, ring voltage, etc to the phones. That many phones could cause a problem. REN can be increased from the default value, but I think you have to call Customer Service for that.I do not recommend the IP phone route.......yet. Vonage has not released the SIP credentials that would require multiple devices on one account. Best bet for now is to go cordless, or just have them up the REN for you.

Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vonage recommends you don't exceed five phones:

"Like any telephone line, there is a limit to the number of phones you can connect to a single Vonage line. If too many phones are connected, the signal will fade, and not all of the phones will ring when a call comes in. Therefore, we recommend you only connect five phones maximum to a single Vonage line."

I'm sure there are people out there that have seven or eight phones out there and don't have any problems, but if you call Vonage tech support for an issue that can be related to too many phones, they'll have you start unplugging them.

You will have dial tone to every phone in your house by simply connecting the Vonage adapter's phone jack to an open jack in your house. Having Cat6 everywhere in your house is nice, but really not all that useful for Vonage. As NavyDavy said, once Vonage opens their SIP credentials, you can use any IP phone you like. However, rumor has it, if you have two or more simultaneous SIP connection to Vonage, you'll be charged a per minute rate (3.9 cents) for the calls made on those devices.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't disagree with any of this, but it's a little too early to just give up on powering all the phones. The REN number on a lot of modern phones is quite low. I'd go with trying to use the house wiring.

Start by disconnecting the external land line (and be absolutely sure that it is disconnected). Unplug all of the telephones in the house. After checking the Vonage system by plugging one phone into the adapter, remove that phone and plug the adapter into a wall phone jack. If your wiring is standard, that should energize every wall jack in the house as EzCo said. Now plug in your phones one at a time and test to see if the phone works and to see if all of the phones ring correctly. Keep plugging in phones until you have a problem.

As has been pointed out, the problem isn't with the number of phones per se- it's with the number of ringers that the Vonage adapter has to ring. You may want to turn ringers off on some of the phones if the adapter is having trouble handling the load. I have four phones and one fax machine on my system, and no problems.

Pepperoni
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not yet a Vonage user.... some questions :) Reply with quote Back to top

HerculesMO wrote:

Anyways.. I have a house wired entirely for ethernet. Every place there is a phone jack, there is a Cat6 jack (i'm wiring it now.. i like to have network connectivity!). As I understand it, Vonage will give me a box to put behind my router, and then I can connect a phone to that.

I know most people probably have a cordless handset system in their house. My house is quite large.... and we have about 7 or 8 handsets in the house -- all of these are necessary. We do not yet have a cordless phone system with expandable handsets.

The question here is... do I need it? If every room in my house is wired for Cat6 connections..... can I use say, an IP telephone or something to connect to Vonage? How exactly would this work, and does anybody know what telephone I can use?

Are there any benefits of going the route of having an IP telephone or whatever, over a cordless handset system? Ideally I just want every phone in my house to use the Vonage service... and there's no way (that I know of) that Vonage will connect into my entire house's phone system automatically.. And since I have the cat6 connection all over the house, maybe I can take advantage of that fact.

Anyhow, if anybody has any ideas or pointers on this, it would be greatly apprecaited! Smile

You can run Softphone on your PC and use the ethernet connection.

I would run a 3 or 4 terminal circuit just for Vonage (and leave current wiring intact) Just run new lines and find a cover plate that will accept another phone plug.. the ones I used are modular and just snap together as needed. Use a different color plug for the new circuit to prevent future mistakes. If you keep your land line phone, you could merely forward Vonage calls and everything should work as-is.

I don't believe that you can run your main account on an IPPhone. Softphone should work.

CyberphoneK / Plantronics headset
Datahazard
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, get softphones lines for each extension, then simulring your main line. Put Cisco IP Phones on the softphone accounts. That should ring them all.

I know, it wasn't that funny. But seriously, NateHoy is right, as long as you check that you don't go over 5 REN (most newer phones are like .1 so you could put like 50 phones on that) you won't have a problem. Just make sure you check all devices including answering machines, faxes, and external CID boxes.