Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
MichaelMub Posted:
PORN...
In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
The best pron
On Dec 04, 2016 at 10:22:56

Dwightkaw Posted:
kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; o dochodach
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
kredyt bez zaświadczeń
On Dec 03, 2016 at 03:27:10

Kevingrarl Posted:
Су
95;ас&
#1085;иl
1;
пі
76;пр&
#1080;&
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Сучас&
On Dec 02, 2016 at 12:51:38

IsaawUnace Posted:
does cialis work
as well as cialis
add.cgi buy
cialis cialis
the team <a
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Condition good pill instead of ed
On Dec 01, 2016 at 11:11:59

MatrickVop Posted:
buy cialis today
columbus oh
generic cialis
buy cialis online
registered users
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Classify miserly pills no means
On Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42:47

dracossumo Posted:
Ко
84;па&
#1085;иn
3; Tritel
пр
77;до
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
&#1048;&#1085;&#1090;&#1077;&#1088;&
On Nov 27, 2016 at 23:00:39

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
WayneW
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Just Curious About RTP300 Wiring Reply with quote Back to top

I just received the RTP300 for my new Vonage service. I can't install until they get the phone number transferred from the current Telco but in reading the setup information I notice that if you have an existing router (I do - a Linksys WRT55AG) they have you use what appears to be a normal Ethernet cable to connect the RTP300 to the existing router while for users with no existing router it looks like they connect the RTP300 to the PC with a crossover cable.

That just seems backwards to me? Am I misunderstanding something here?
View user's profile Send private message
navydavy2001
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: May 26, 2005
Posts: 1125
Location: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically use straight thru (normal) cables. Most devices these days have auto-detect and will configure themselves to whatever device they are connected to. I think it's called MDI-MDIX or something similar. In your case, if your existing router has QOS, I would connect Modem--->Existing Router---->RTP. This way the Vonage device isn't controlling your gateway for your PC's.

_________________
http://www.thejeffriestube.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 4777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Curious About RTP300 Wiring Reply with quote Back to top

WayneW wrote:
I just received the RTP300 for my new Vonage service. I can't install until they get the phone number transferred from the current Telco but in reading the setup information I notice that if you have an existing router (I do - a Linksys WRT55AG) they have you use what appears to be a normal Ethernet cable to connect the RTP300 to the existing router while for users with no existing router it looks like they connect the RTP300 to the PC with a crossover cable.

That just seems backwards to me? Am I misunderstanding something here?


I think you are misunderstanding something. With an existing router, the normal connection would be a normal ethernet cable from your router (LAN port) the the RTP WAN port. PCs could plug into either the router LAN ports or the RTP LAN ports.

The normal configuration without another router is modem to RTP WAN port and RTP LAN ports to PCs. All cables normal- no crossovers.

_________________
Steve Gray
Orlando, FL
View user's profile Send private message
WayneW
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Curious About RTP300 Wiring Reply with quote Back to top

Steve48 wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding something. With an existing router, the normal connection would be a normal ethernet cable from your router (LAN port) the the RTP WAN port. PCs could plug into either the router LAN ports or the RTP LAN ports.

The normal configuration without another router is modem to RTP WAN port and RTP LAN ports to PCs. All cables normal- no crossovers.


According to the setup instructions, if you have no existing router you connect the "Yellow Cable" which they supply from any RTP300 LAN port to the PC. That yellow cable looks like it is a crossover. For people with existing routers they tell you to use the Blue cable which they also supply - that one looks like a normal Ethernet cable.
View user's profile Send private message
WayneW
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

navydavy2001 wrote:
Basically use straight thru (normal) cables. Most devices these days have auto-detect and will configure themselves to whatever device they are connected to. I think it's called MDI-MDIX or something similar. In your case, if your existing router has QOS, I would connect Modem--->Existing Router---->RTP. This way the Vonage device isn't controlling your gateway for your PC's.

Thanks for that information. I hadn't thought about that.
View user's profile Send private message
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 4777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Curious About RTP300 Wiring Reply with quote Back to top

WayneW wrote:
According to the setup instructions, if you have no existing router you connect the "Yellow Cable" which they supply from any RTP300 LAN port to the PC. That yellow cable looks like it is a crossover. For people with existing routers they tell you to use the Blue cable which they also supply - that one looks like a normal Ethernet cable.


I think both the blue and yellow cables are normal cables. They're just color coded to match the ports on the RTP300- blue for the WAN port and yellow for the LAN ports.

_________________
Steve Gray
Orlando, FL
View user's profile Send private message
WayneW
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Curious About RTP300 Wiring Reply with quote Back to top

Steve48 wrote:
WayneW wrote:
According to the setup instructions, if you have no existing router you connect the "Yellow Cable" which they supply from any RTP300 LAN port to the PC. That yellow cable looks like it is a crossover. For people with existing routers they tell you to use the Blue cable which they also supply - that one looks like a normal Ethernet cable.


I think both the blue and yellow cables are normal cables. They're just color coded to match the ports on the RTP300- blue for the WAN port and yellow for the LAN ports.

Makes sense. I made an assumption that the yellow was crossover. I'll test it tomorrow to verify.
View user's profile Send private message
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 4777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let us know. It'll save me having to dig out my ohmmeter.

_________________
Steve Gray
Orlando, FL
View user's profile Send private message
WayneW
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 27, 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Steve48 wrote:
Let us know. It'll save me having to dig out my ohmmeter.

They both are "regular" ethernet cables. Bad choice to color on yellow. In my experience that usually signifies a crosssover cable.
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WayneW wrote:
Steve48 wrote:
Let us know. It'll save me having to dig out my ohmmeter.

They both are "regular" ethernet cables. Bad choice to color on yellow. In my experience that usually signifies a crosssover cable.


Actually, sadly enough, color doesn't signify anything with Ethernet cables. I've got GOBS of yellow patch cables here, none of them crossover. I have two crossover cables, one grey and one black.

Usually, if a cable is crossover (and it's a professionally-built patch cable), the word "CROSSOVER" will be printed on the cable somehow, either screen printed directly on the insulation (usually) or using an attached label.

Fortunately, since most Linksys devices support auto-crossover detection and correction, it really shouldn't matter too much any more.

_________________
Comcast Cable (3m down / 256k up) -> Linksys BEFCMU10 v2 (DOCSIS 1.0) -> WRT54G v4 ("Tomato" firmware) -> the rest of my network including a WRTP54G (Firmware: 5.01.04)
My Vonage Self-Help Guides: http://vonage.nmhoy.net
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New gaylemv3
New Today 2
Yesterday 8
Total 99011

Who Is On Site
Visitors 96
Members 0
Total 96


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.57
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.76 Seconds and 582 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum