Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
mikebrown Posted:
Hello, I think
you should consult
it with the Expert
they can surely
help you
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Hardwiring in a Rental House
On Jun 24, 2017 at 09:15:34

Haniltery Posted:
For wipe call
history also some
of the offline, in
gengral , it
usually apply to
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
How to Delete call history from online account?
On May 09, 2017 at 06:14:26

diana87 Posted:
You have to use
VPN service to
bypass
Geo-restrictions
and get free
access while
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Recent calling problem from Egypt
On May 02, 2017 at 17:28:06

dconnor Posted:
What is the main
number on the
account? And
which one is the
virtual number?
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 18:52:02

Trafford Posted:
Seems like a
simple
question. We
rely exclusively
on a Vonage system
for our
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42:50

diazou Posted:
Hello, It's
compatible with
Android your phone
software
? Thanks!
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Mar 28, 2017 at 12:42:33

jeddaisg Posted:
Hi all We have
a Vonage VOIP
system for our
office. Lately,
our call quality
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Ethernet Cable; Wiring schematic? 568-B?
On Feb 23, 2017 at 18:33:52

beast321 Posted:
I don't know if
you heard, that
many more
Dreamcast games
are opened up
recently.
...

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Using phone as a dial up modem for Dreamcast Gaming
On Feb 16, 2017 at 03:16:51

Av8rix Posted:
Sorry to start a
new thread on an
old topic but when
I google “Vonage
MAC address
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
New adapter and router -- MAC change
On Jan 11, 2017 at 01:07:21

tplink Posted:
Im trying to add
my HT802 vonage
adapter to my home
network. I
currently have
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Vonage behind switch
On Dec 05, 2016 at 12:35:11


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Expands International Presence with Investments in Asia Pacific Region

Vonage to Present at the Oppenheimer 20th Annual Technology, Internet & Communications Conference

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months



Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!
Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!



Great Price, No Complaints
Great Price, No Complaints



You need some common sense.
You need some common sense.



Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...
Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Hard Wiring - Installation
Author Message
rkleemann
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: wireless phone jack? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

My DSL connection is up on the 2nd floor, which means the Vonage phone adapter is also up on the 2nd floor. However, downstairs I have a need to connect equipment. For example, one phone and also a DirecTV receiver that needs to be connected to the phone line.

How will that work? Is there some sort of wireless phone jack that can be used downstairs?

What equipment is recomended?

Thanks
Ricardo
View user's profile Send private message
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 4777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless phone jack? Reply with quote Back to top

rkleemann wrote:
My DSL connection is up on the 2nd floor, which means the Vonage phone adapter is also up on the 2nd floor. However, downstairs I have a need to connect equipment. For example, one phone and also a DirecTV receiver that needs to be connected to the phone line.

How will that work? Is there some sort of wireless phone jack that can be used downstairs?


Is your house wired with phone jacks? Most people handle your issue by disconnecting the regular phone company's land line from their house wiring. Then they use the house wiring with their Vonage phone. There's a separate forum here where we discuss this.

_________________
Steve Gray
Orlando, FL
View user's profile Send private message
rkleemann
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless phone jack? Reply with quote Back to top

Steve48 wrote:
rkleemann wrote:
My DSL connection is up on the 2nd floor, which means the Vonage phone adapter is also up on the 2nd floor. However, downstairs I have a need to connect equipment. For example, one phone and also a DirecTV receiver that needs to be connected to the phone line.

How will that work? Is there some sort of wireless phone jack that can be used downstairs?


Is your house wired with phone jacks? Most people handle your issue by disconnecting the regular phone company's land line from their house wiring. Then they use the house wiring with their Vonage phone. There's a separate forum here where we discuss this.


Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how it works, but yes... my house is definitely wired with jacks. I have 2 lines, one of which is the one being replaced by Vonage. How can I make use of the existing jacks through Vonage?

Ricardo
View user's profile Send private message
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Everything is covered in the Vonage Wiring and Installation Guide. Give that a look see and then post any questions you might have.

_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rkleemann
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
Everything is covered in the Vonage Wiring and Installation Guide. Give that a look see and then post any questions you might have.


This seems quite complicated! Cry

I didn't think it would be such a hassle.
View user's profile Send private message
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are wireless phone jacks that you could try, but, especially with the DirecTV receiver you may have problems.

They are available at Radio Shack, there are RCA models available at most places that sell satellite receivers and some people recommend the Easy Jack version from Phonex.

_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mundy5
Member of the Week
Member of the Week


Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 1179

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

was your phone and directTV receiver previously connected through your regular land line #1? If so, then all you need to do is disconnect your line #1 from the telco's gray box on the outside of your home and connect the phone and directTV receiver into their previous jack(s). Lastly, you need to connect your Vonage router to a phone jack that worked with line #1 before and you are all set to go. We would be glad to help. It is not as difficult as it seems.

_________________
St. Louis, MO
Vonage Customer from February 2005 to May 2010
ISP: Charter
Router: Linksys RT31P2 (blew up during electrical storm)
View user's profile Send private message
rkleemann
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Jan 07, 2006
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mundy5 wrote:
was your phone and directTV receiver previously connected through your regular land line #1? If so, then all you need to do is disconnect your line #1 from the telco's gray box on the outside of your home and connect the phone and directTV receiver into their previous jack(s). Lastly, you need to connect your Vonage router to a phone jack that worked with line #1 before and you are all set to go. We would be glad to help. It is not as difficult as it seems.


Thanks, this helps.
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm still new to this and I'm trying to figure out what the best setup will be. I actually have not yet subscribed to Vonage, I want to make sure everything will work out ok before I go through with it.
I wanted to get the VTECH setup with the 2 cordless phones, but now I wonder if that setup has the appropriate hookup to a phone jack as you mention above? What sort of equipment do I need?

Although, the wiring in my house really is creating problems. I say that because in the room where the DSL is hooked up, and where Vonage would also be hooked up, the phone jack there is for the 2nd line (the line that has the DSL), and not the 1st line. In this room I don't see another jack which would be on the 1st line. Which means, I don't know how I could get the Vonage adapter hooked up to the 1st line jack. Do you know what I mean?

I guess my setup is very unique. Any pointers on what my options are?

Thanks again for all the help.
View user's profile Send private message
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Aug 30, 2005
Posts: 4777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

rkleemann wrote:
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm still new to this and I'm trying to figure out what the best setup will be. I actually have not yet subscribed to Vonage, I want to make sure everything will work out ok before I go through with it.
I wanted to get the VTECH setup with the 2 cordless phones, but now I wonder if that setup has the appropriate hookup to a phone jack as you mention above? What sort of equipment do I need?

Although, the wiring in my house really is creating problems. I say that because in the room where the DSL is hooked up, and where Vonage would also be hooked up, the phone jack there is for the 2nd line (the line that has the DSL), and not the 1st line. In this room I don't see another jack which would be on the 1st line. Which means, I don't know how I could get the Vonage adapter hooked up to the 1st line jack. Do you know what I mean?

I guess my setup is very unique. Any pointers on what my options are?

Thanks again for all the help.


First a word of caution. As you've been told, things are actually a lot simpler than they seem. However, you must be absolutely certain that the regular phone company line is disconnected from whichever line you hook your Vonage system to. Otherwise you might damage the Vonage adapter.

That said, you need to check on the Vtech phone. If its one with a built in Voip adapter, then it may not have a phone output to hook to your house wiring. The Vtech 8100, for example, does not, and that would be a problem. Any ordinary phone that currently plugs into your house wiring should be suitable for use with Vonage adapter.

With regard to the jack in the room with the DSL, if it has only the DSL line, then you're correct, you have another problem. However, most homes wired with two lines have both serviced through a single jack in each room. Your home may well be the same, and the jack that you're using for the DSL may well have the other line available and you just don't know it. To check, you can buy an adapter that plugs into a wall jack and separates it into two jacks, designated Line 1 and Line 2. (There are other simple Y-adapters. They will not do what you want.) Get one of the separator adapters and plug it into the DSL jack. Then try a phone in each of the output jacks it provides. If you can access one of your lines from one jack and the other from the other jack, then you've got it made.

_________________
Steve Gray
Orlando, FL
View user's profile Send private message
mundy5
Member of the Week
Member of the Week


Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 1179

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

rkleeman,

From what I have read, it looks like we will have to go step by step to get you set up. I am concerned that you have DSL because some companies do not let you have only the DSL service. Have you checked on this? It might not save you any money in the long run if you have to keep your phone service with the telco.

Do try out Steve48's suggestion about a 2 line splitter. Not a splitter that lets you share a single phone line but one that actually splits it into line 1 and line 2.

Lastly, it is absolutely imperative as Steve48 said that you need to make sure that you have completely disconnected the phone line from the telco before messing around with hard wiring your phone system.

If you order directly from Vonage and you get a regular router, it will work fine. But as Steve48 said, if it is a special phone that has Vonage built in, it cannot work with your home wiring. Make sure to double check all of this before you get a system.

_________________
St. Louis, MO
Vonage Customer from February 2005 to May 2010
ISP: Charter
Router: Linksys RT31P2 (blew up during electrical storm)
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New patsykf3
New Today 0
Yesterday 0
Total 101029

Who Is On Site
Visitors 1
Members 0
Total 1


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.26 Seconds and Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum